Friday, March 30, 2018

Militia Horse painted figures



  While at Cold Wars I did something I don't do.  I bought painted figures.  They were very well painted, and at almost unpainted pricep a bargin.  After all when do you see mounted War of 1812 figures for sale.


 And nothing shouts War of 1812 (to me) like hunting shirts and top hats (round hats in the period language).  They represent mounted riflemen from the frontier.  Johnson's mounted rifles at The Thames wore black hunting shirts turned red .  And eventually I want to paint These up.  Knuckleduster does a most excellent figure of These. But these are a nice tan color hunting shirt.  I will use them as generic mounted militia.  The War of 1812 is not known for cavalry actions, but when has that stopped war gamers from fielding and fighting them in battle!


  But for me it is unusual as I have not bought pre painted figures before.  I like painting.  I have a style I like and I feel looks good on the table.  More importantly I have a sense of ownership.  These are mine and I painted them.  So I feel a little different in actually having someone else's work in my  collection.  I think my feelings must be unusual as there is a big business side of the hobby that supplies painted figures.  In the past I have painted figures for other people.   I have painted figures for other people.  So perhaps I am over thinking this.  Perhaps I should just enjoy  the new additions.



3 comments:

  1. Nice figures and I understand completely your sense of how your own figures from raw metal to final basing are somehow 'your own' more-so than figures that have a different signature to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look great. I too have bought a few 1812 painted 15mm from Hinds Figs. The photo's at his sight
    do not do justice to the quality paint jobs of these 2nd hand figs.
    And, at my age, I find it hard to paint them myself.

    ReplyDelete