Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Museum of the American Revolution


 In planning my trip to Cold Wars this year I set aside time to visit the new Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.  I am very glad I did.

On entering on the museum there is a delightful diorama of the Battle of Trenton.  Buildings are well done as is the terrain.  The figures are collector type 54mm figures and really nicely painted.





   After paying our admission we looked about to get our bearings.  On The first floor is the book store (more later), a restaurant and a locker room where you can lead your coat and bags.  There is a introduction movie which we skipped due to the large school grouos.  Instead we moved up the stairs to the exhibit halls.

  We started by watching a movie about The history of George Washington 's tent.  It was well done and tied The tent to the museum story.  At the end the curtain lifted and you got to see The tent itself.

   The exhibit hall was well played out and progressed in a logical manner.  The pre war and rise ofrevolution.  How the American colonies went from loyal empire members to fighting for independence.  There are numerous exhibits with portraits and artifacts that complement the text. It then followed the campaigns to the end of the war.


   One outstanding item was the life size dioramas scattered throughout.  The clothing on the models are outstanding and reflex The latest research.  Clothing is well sewed and tailored.






   There are numerous portraits many of which I have never seen. While I have been a serious student of the period and the war during my time with The National Park Service I thought I was well read.   Here I saw numerous portraits and artifacts I had no idea existed.  It blew Me Away.




  One exhibit I found was a panorama painting of the British fleet in New York harbour in 1776.  Especially interesting were the barges landing soldiers.  I had seen this before.  But when blown up the details of the soldiers and The uniforms was amazing.



One of the most dramatic exhibits occurred near the end as you turn a corner.  You are confronted with members of The British Legion riding you down.  Very effective!



  Another interesting items were colors from The period.  The so called Foster flag and The Monmouth color were in display.




The museum store is very well lighted, and items placed with care. There is enough room to move about without feeling crowded. There are evan a few benches to relax on.  Items are chosen to appeal to all ages and tastes.  The selection of books is wide and broad and just outstanding.

If you get the chance to visit the MAR please do so.  The museum is outstanding.  It is well layed out, interesting and a joy to visit.  Exhibit cases are not over stuffed with items. They are carefully chosen and add to your knowledge.  For the long time student of the war there are new and exciting items.  I cannot recommend this museum enough.  It was an exciting experience and I look forward to going again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these great pics, love the atmospheric and wonderful dio...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, those British Legion chaps make me glad I am British!

    ReplyDelete