Tuesday, August 28, 2018

14th Continental Regiment 1776





   If a single regiment could be said to have saved the American Revolution it was the 14th Continental Regiment.  Twice, at Long Island and at Trenton the regiment played a crucial role either as a fighting regiment or as sailors.  After the defeat on Long Island in August 1776 these men crewed the boats that evacuated Washington's army.  Later, they  rowed Washington's men across the frozen Delaware river,  then joined Sullivan's division to fight the Hessians at Trenton.



  Formed in 1775 from local militia the regiment was designated as the 14th Continental Regiment in 1776 and commanded by Colonel John Glover.  Recruited from the Marblehead Massachusetts area from men who worked on ships and depended on the ocean.  The regiment included numerous minorities from the American Indian and free Black communities.  The regiment is described as wearing a mix of uniforms and salior clothing.  Regimental coats were drab or brown with red facings, although some blue jackets are mentioned.


  Figures are from Eureka miniatures.  These are dressed in mixtures of uniforms and  sailor clothing.  Some are wearing naval jackets which I painted a plain blue. The majority are in regimental coats with sailor trousers.  I painted the coats a drab brown with red facings to match the deserter descriptions.  I really liked the drab brown I mixed.  Accoutrements were white belts, with haversack and canteen.  All pretty standard.

  For the regimental colors I went with Washington's recommendation of a Grand Union flag with another in the regiments facing color and a device.  For the regimental color I used a red flag from the Gostelowe collection with the mailed fist as that was a early symbol of Massachusetts.  The Grand Union type has a New England line tree which again represent New England.




   My only complaint here is the mixed poses.  It gives a unbalanced look to the unit.  My preference is for a standard pose. Usually marching.  But I went with this as it has the figures in the right mix of clothing.  Perhaps on the table top it will not look too out of place.

12 comments:

  1. I like what you have done with this regiment. Enjoyable regimental history too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the right amount of dirt and mixed equipment to give them a fantastic 'on campaign' look. Well done Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you noticed. I thought they were hard working men of the sea first and soldiers second and wanted to show that.

      Delete
  3. Flags, historical background and painting, everything's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice looking regiment and I enjoyed the historical background too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice making the connection between the lead and the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very glad you have all enjoyed my regimental histories. Silly I know but it is important to me which regiments I paint and put on my table top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice unit Mark - I like Eureka figures, they are generally nicely sculpted with crisp detail that makes them easy to paint

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I was very impressed by the detail and how easily they painted up.

    ReplyDelete