Thursday, December 13, 2018

Paper buildings


  Tis the season to plan out projects and goals for next year.  And one of my goals is to  fight the Battle of Trenton at Christmas time next year.   Once at our club game night in December then again Christmas day with my son.  I have the miniature soldiers ready;  it is the terrain I need to work on.  A winter ground mat, trees, snowy roads and icy river.  But mostly I need buildings, and lots of them.

  After looking at a number of  resin buildings I doubt I will go that way due to the cost.  I really like the MDF buildings but again I need a lot of them. So I will turn my hand to trying the paper type. Towards that end I have bought a number of clap board and stone houses from Paper Terrain.  These look very nice and are a very reasonable price.


  My first try was with one of  the simple white clap board houses.  Nothing complex about it.  I cut out most of the house with scissors and trimed it with a xacto knife.  I then scored the folds with the dull edge of the knife to fold it.  Using tacky glue I put a small amount of glue along the folds and glued the edges.  It went together very quickly and now I have a neat little  home for my table top. Thus ine should work for both  American Rev War and War of 1812. 

  A nice bonous is each house comes with a burned out destroyed version which fits inside the building.  Just in case your British Legion or  Canadian Volunteers are  up to their reported nastiness!



More to come soon both in terrain and buildings.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. Have you looked at Peter Dennis's book of 28mm paper buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the American Revolution one and have build one of the buildings already.

      Delete
  2. They look very effective. Nice touch that they come with a damaged version to go inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. I am looking at setting up a to use those. Perhaps involves the evil Canadian Volunteers regiment.

      Delete
  3. Do you adhere the paper to foam core for strength?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have found a good strong card stock works fine.

      I have two small buildings I built at Cold Wars about five years ago that are still going strong. Mounting them on a foam core base on the other hand is very important and helps. Also, Paper Terrain having a core destroyed building inside helps with support.

      Delete