Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Camp vignette





  I picked up this very nice vignette from Perry Miniatures at Cold Wars too many years ago.  It went into my "to do" box and got forgotten about.  I recently found it and wondered why I had never painted it!




  The camp scene is a series of small set pieces.  Here is a woman cooking over a fire, while a soldier brings a barrel of water.  Two soldiers settle the problems of the world over a drink while another soldier gets his hair dressed.  The set is full of life and very charming.



  I decided to set it in my American camp.  The timing is 1776 around New York city.  The Continental Army is not yet field tested and their clothing has not acquired the campaign look from hard service.  One soldier is in a typical New England brown faced red coat.  The one getting his hair dressed is in the uniform of the famed Delaware regiment.  The women's clothing is very well done and unlike too many miniatures correct for the time period.  No "farbs" here!  It is also of a better quality then you may find in camp.  Hence my setting it around New York before the fighting starts.



   The two continental line soldiers holding a animated conversation reminds me of two old friends from the Park Service.  To me they look like Eric Olsen from Morristown NHP and Joe Craig from Saratoga NHP.  


6 comments:

  1. Cracking job on these vignettes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking group of figures Mark ...I alway like this kind of vignette, even though they generally have no actual role in a game and are really "human" scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There is a Sharp Practice Rev War game each year at Cold Wars. He puts all sorts of neat things like these in his game. It really brought it to life for me. So much so I have started to add similar things to my table.

      Delete