Saturday, April 11, 2020

Concord Bridge Diorama


Diorama of the North Bridge Fight at the Concord Museum. Picture from the book "Lexington Concord  Battle Road. "

   This great diorama is at the Concord Museum in Concord Massachusetts.  It was commissioned by the historian Allen French and built by  Guernsey and Pittman in Cambridge Massachusetts.  Allen French provided the historical research for the builders.  If you are not familiar with him,  his books, "Day of Lexington and Concord" and "General Gage's Informers" are the foundation of any study of the battles.  While working at Minute Man National Historical Park I took some time going through the Allen French papers.  Included was his  correspondence about the diorama and notes to the builders. 

  Guernsey and Pittman are famous for their quality of dioramas.  They had a office in Harvard square In Cambridge Massachusetts.  Both men had been professors at Harvard University.    I plan on doing a blog posting about the in the future in which I will showcase some of their work.

British Light companies in street fighting position.  

    As I have mentioned earlier I love dioramas and they have instilled in me my love of model soldiers.  While the Lexington Green one will always be my sentimental favorite this one of the North Bridge fight is up there with it.  Because it was local whenever I was in Concord I would try and stop by to visit it.

Nice detail of the fight.

The front rank of British soldiers are retiring to the rear to reload after firing.  Note the soldier leaning on his file mate and standing in his tip toes to get a better view!

Although the miniatures are very crude by today's standards they are still works of art.

There are neat little details in the diorama that reward multiple viewings.  Note the planks pulled up on the bridge.  In the picture here Lt. William Sutherland calls for volunteers to join in him to flank the Americans.


Thank to my good friend Scott Leach for permission to use the pictures from his blog.

5 comments:

  1. What another amazing diorama Mark, beutiful work. Are all the figure hand made by the creators or dud they use commercially available models?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the figures were made by the modeled. I have never seen any for sale.

      Delete
  2. This is a great looking diorama. Even if the figures are crude, it carries an artistic flair that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. And I still here thrill out of it when I see it.

      Delete
  3. The name of the book is "The Day of Concord and Lexington, the Nineteenth of April, 1775"

    ReplyDelete