Friday, April 10, 2020

Lexington Green Diorama




   Ever since I can remember I have loved toy soldiers. As a very young boy I was thrilled to discover an exciting diorama of the Battle of Lexington Green in my public library.  My parents would drop me off at the library and after getting a arm full of books I would stand in wonder in front of it.



  This diorama is still in existence and is in the town of Lexington visitor center.  It was made by John Scheid.  His technique for making the British Grenadier caps look like fur still amazes me.  There is a very nice write up about him and better pictures of the diorama in Peter Blum's book "Military Miniatures" The Odyssey Press, New York, 1964.





    Due to the state "stay at home" I was unable to take any pictures of it today.  So the ones here were ones I found on the internet.  I hope the owners do not mind.  Also I would like to thank my friend Scott Lesch of Gloucester Massachusetts for his help with his and the Concord bridge diorama.

     This will be the first in a series of posts about great dioramas in my area.  


8 comments:

  1. Looks great Mark, nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that. The diorama gets the sense of action and movement across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. I greatly enjoy seeing dioramas. When in Great Britain years ago I was delighted to see Edward Suren's diorama of the 42nd Highlanders attack at Fort Ticonderoga. It was at the Black Watch museum. I only wish I had gotten some pictures.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on this diorama and its easy to see how it could inspire a lifelong love of model soldiers in a young, impressionable mind Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still magnificent and I still enjoy seeing it.

      Delete
  4. OLD! Speak for yourself. I am a classic 😏

    ReplyDelete