Friday, March 27, 2020

Pennsylvania State Battalion 1776



   The Pennsylvania Battalion of Rifles and the Pennsylvania Battalion of Musketry, were raised in February 1776.  In the next few months nearly one thousand men enlisted.  They were organized into two battalions of riflemen commanded by Colonel Samuel  Atlee and one battalion of musket men commanded by Colonel Samuel Miles.



   Sent to New York city to join the main American army under General Washington they arrived On 11August and were assigned to the brigade commanded by Brigadier Lord Stirling.  During the Battle of Long Island (27August 1776) the battalions were decimated. Colonels Atlee and Miles were captured and the three battalions were consolidated into a single battalion under Colonel Daniel Brodhead and now revered to As the Pennsylvania State Battalion.  As such they campaigned with Washington's army and fought at Trenton and Princeton.


  I have depicted this unusual unit as the consolidated State battalion.  To create this  I have used a mixture of different figures from Old Glory,  Fife and Drum and RSM.  I hope this gives it the right look.  Uniform details are also very mixed.  The Rifle battalion had blue faced white coats, white waistcoat edged red. They wore black caps marked "PR" or hats.  Lead colored hunting shirts are also mentioned.  My guess (opinion only ) could have been officers in uniform and riflemen in hunting shirts.  But this is only a guess on my part.   The musketeers battalion had blue regimental coats faced red, white waistcoat and buckskin breeches, hats bound yellow.  returns from the State Battalion suggested blue regimental coats faced red with white small clothes.



  Figured are from a wide variety of manufacturers.  Old Glory second edition, RSM miniatures and Fife And Drum miniatures.  They all look good together.  See if you can pick them out in the pictures! 

4 comments:

  1. Gee, I thought I was going mad...I was SURE I had already commented on these guys...then I scrolled back a couple of posts and found I was thinking of the previous unit...you are certainly cranking through the American battalions at the moment Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice looking unit Mark

    The mix of different uniforms works really well...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Yes, I think I they did with well. For my next brigade I am looking to expand on this. The new Brigade Games Rev War figures have regimental coats, civilian coats and the 1775 bounty coats issued to New Englanders. I plan on redoing Glover's Brigade with a mix of these figures types to give a more realistic impress of 1776 battalions. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete