Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Regiment Saintonge 1745




Why do you add certain regiments to your collection?  Most times I add regiments if they are a favorite of mine (have to the Royal Welch Fusiliers), or are in a historical order of battle (like my Niagara 1814 project).  Sometimes I add them because they look incredible or have brilliant uniforms.  But sometimes I add them because they are special on a personal level.


One such regiment is the French regiment Saintonge.  Way back during the Bicentennial of the American Revolution a local recreated militia group decided for Yorktown they would  do something special.  They would recreate a French regiment. For over a year they researched and created the uniforms and equipment  while they drilled and trained.  At Yorktown they fielded about one hundred soldiers and were an incredible impressive sight.  In later years during my time with the National Park Service I had the pleasure to work with members of the Saintonge. It was always a great experience and they were a very nice group of people.

So when adding regiments to my 1745 French army i just had to add these fine fellows.



4 comments:

  1. Amazing details, a beautiful regiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are stunningly elegant. And that flag!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! As for me, I never need much incentive to add a new unit to a project!

    ReplyDelete