Monday, October 7, 2019

Wargame table




  Getting ready for a game at my house I thought I would show what type of a table I have and my views on terrain.  My friend George refers to my table and terrain as updated old school.  That is I go for an old school simple but practical set up but using the better quality materials we have available to us today.

 My philosophy is I am playing with toy soldiers in a fun game.  I want terrain that is simple, but practical.  Terrain that does not detract from playing a game and can be used over and over again.  It also has to be able to be packed up and can travel to club game nights.


  The tables I use are 6' x 2.5' folding tables from Home Depot.  This gives me a nice 6' x 7.5 game space.  A fourth table would give me more room and would be a future purchase.  But for the space I have now this works.

  Hills and ridges are presently pieces of insulation board left over from when I finished our basement.  Again, future project would be to make a series of hills and ridges and paint them to match my ground cloth and add static grass. Rather then sloped hills I have always liked the old style steeped hills.  They remind me of the old style contour maps.  These are what I eventually wish to make.  My ground cloth are three old Citadel gaming mats.  These are covered in static grass and have a nice (but unrealistic) green color.  I think the green looks old school and being a lighter shade showed off the figures better.  The material drapes very nicely to make hills.



Trees, fences , roads and buildings are standard wargamer terrain available today.  I have not yet found a river I truly like.  So again I will have to make them.  I also like to put in little fun things. In any game you might find a Shepard and flock of sheep.  Or a pair of fixed hiding in the woods.  And ducks and geese tend to ignore the chaos around them.  These are ideas I picked up from the nice individual at Miniature Soldiers and Stuff Blog.  I ran into him at Cold Wars and was thrilled by his table set up.  I think they have made my humble table set ups more interesting and more fun.



So that is what I am using and how I set up for a game.  If any of you have suggestions or improvements I would enjoy hearing from you.

3 comments:

  1. looks great ! Will need some lichens to be truly "old school" 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct sir! I do need to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very little needed as that looks damn good.. lichen for sure , may be more trees just scattered round..?

    ReplyDelete