Monday, April 15, 2024

Cigar Box Mats

 

  I have seen a lot of talk about the Cigar Box Mats over the last couple years.  Almost always positive reviews.  They are printed on a blanket type material which folds nicely over  hills and gives a good appearance.  In addition fields, woods and roads are printed on the mat.  Helps with the set up or you could just put terrain. Pieces over it.

  I was able to pick one up used at a good price.  Unfortunately it was for 15mm and has narrow roads but it should still work for my 25mm figures.  After it arrived I set it up and threw a few miniatures and terrain items on it.  I think it looks good;  but I am going to have to keep my eye out for another on to cover my table.


8 comments:

  1. It looks great Mark! The only drawback might be, the pre printed fields (and particularly roads) might predetermine the battlefield....although I guess there are ways to overcome that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put terrain pieces over it to cover it up.

      Delete
  2. Still looks pretty cool, even if it is the wrong scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do and I am not going to sorry about b the scale at all.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, if you put anything under the cloth to represent hills, the printed pattern contorts into the folds of the land, making photographs much nicer and the contours more visible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they do. And it looks much better doing that then with my other ground cloth. I think its the material used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have one of these - a standard green grassy color - which is good for generic games and can be flipped over for winter ones. Haven't tried the ones with pre-printed battlefields, but I'm tempted by some of the other generic patterns. And I can confirm that hills placed underneath work well.

    ReplyDelete