Saturday, December 3, 2016

Works in Progess


  Here it is December.  Back from Florida after helping Janine to take care of her mother and I am now planning out the rest of the year.  It's a very busy time of the year for me both holiday wise but especially work wise.   So here is hoping I can get a little painting time in!

  When I arrived home I had a nice box of goodies from the good people at Knuckleduster Miniatures waiting.  Finally I can start my British/Canadian forces.

   On the painting table I have three regular British battalions, one militia battalion and some artillery crews primed and set to go.
 In addition I have 24 Indians mounted on individual stands also ready to start painting.

Here is how I approach painting.   After cleaning the figures I glue 8 figures  to paint stirring sticks and prime them.  I use black gesso for priming.  Water it down and slop it on with a brush.  I wait for it to dry and then touch up where I missed.  The gesso dries skin tight and does not obscure the figure
details.  Before painting I dry brush each figure white;  so highlights are white and recessed areas stay dark.  Works out nice and helps with shading.  Not as fast as spray priming but more economical in the long run.

  One of the first and major decisions I had recently to make was on my brand of paints.  Due to age (the paint, not me) and the cold I have found most of my hobby paints dried up.  I use acrylics, and have bounced from cheep hobby paints to Vallejo.  Problem is the local craft store is not stocking the craft paints and Vallejo is getting too expensive.  I plan on trying the Coat d'arm paints.  They are the old citadel paints which I liked very much.  Ordered some and  will let you all know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck in carving out meaningful painting time during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you're hard at it.

    ReplyDelete