Friday, September 7, 2018

McDougall 's Brigade 1776



 General Alexander McDougall 's brigade during the campaign around New York city and Westchester county.  The brigades  main action was 28 October 1776 at the battle of White Plains New York.   The brigade was made up of the 1st and 3rd New York Regiments, Smallwood's Maryland Regiment and the 19th Continental Regiment.




   Figures for the Brigade are mostly from  Fife and Drum miniatures with one battalion from RSM ministures.  These mix very well together in size and style.  They also paint up very quickly.  Flags are from either GMB or copies sent to me from Bill from King 's  Mountain miniatures which My friend George has printed. 

   My wargame armies are based around historical orders of battles for campaigns or battles.  When I paint up regiments I try and use historical brigades of usually three to four regiments.  This gives a nice table top command for a player.  I do not worry about actually strength of the regiment.  All my regiments are usually of a common size.  Infantry regiments are usually 24 or 30 figures.  I do this to prevent larger units being too powerful in my games. A bad experience I had years ago involved  a very  large militia battalion walking over a grenadier battalion just because it had more figures.  If fighting a historical battle I will use historical strength per regiment.

4 comments:

  1. Great looking brigade Mark. I think your philosophy about creating units based on historical reality AND the fact you use standard sized units are both good ideas...you should be able to adjust rules so that a militia regiment of 36 has virtually no chance against a grenadier unit of 18 (for example!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice looking Brigade Mark...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete