Wednesday, July 3, 2019

British Army Command Stand


  Sir William Howe, conversing with his staff and being distracted by Mrs Loring.  Can there be a better command stand for my British army?


I have always liked Sir William, he is my favorite British General from the American Revolution.  It is hard to tell why he captured my attention.  Possibly after reading Thomas Fleming's book "Now We are Enemies" about Bunker Hill.  His description of Howe standing all alone after the second attack with his battle plan wreaked and his staff all shot down around him has always stayed with me.

 His abilities as a tactician is often forgotten.  His Light Infantry discipline and school of instruction was a first of its kind.  He also built his army into a powerful fighting force.  That he often pulled his punches and allowed the American army to escape to fight another day is often pointed out.  Could this be because of his sympathetic feelings toward the American Colonists? One things I do know is after Bunker hill he was very careful of the lives of his men and seldom threw them away in pointless actions.

When one reads of his going away party, the "Mischianza" it is hard to imagine the officers of Wellingtons army throwing him a similar one.



Very little is known about Elizabeth Loring.  Not even a painting of her exists.  But her presence was noticed and her effect on Howe commented on.  As a contemporary wrote of them:

Sir William he,
Snug as a flea,
Lay all this time a snoring,
Not dreamed of harm
As he lay warm, 
In bed with Mrs. Loring.


Again, figures from the great and wonderful Fife and Drum miniatures.  The figure of Howe is new as is the Highland officer.  In my last order Jim very kind to sent me the Highlander figure as A bonus.  I am glad he did as it added to this colorful group.   A fantastic variety of figures in a beautiful range for the American Revolution War.

2 comments:

  1. An outstanding command group Mark - Re Betsy Loring, after finding the rhyme on Google, I read quite a bit more and seems that many historians doubt she was really Howes mistress at all - just a "good friend" - the little rhyme quoted is apparently the ONLY contemporary source to imply they had anything untoward going on and she may just have been a bit flirty and reckless with her reputation - but I must admit I prefer the other story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most interesting. I did not know that!

    ReplyDelete