Friday, September 25, 2020

New rivers

 


In cleaning up the old painting table yesterday I found a bunch of  Darico Foamies Sheets I had bought I cannot remember when.  These are the town sheets you can find craft stores.  They are about a 1/8 inch thick and 18 inches by 12 inches.  Why did I buy them?  I can not remember but I thought I should use them for something.   But then I remembered at a Cold Wars convention I had picked up cheaply a set of narrow streams made from this same material.  I thought I would put together a set of rivers about six inches wide.



I cut the sheets in half the long  the long way to have six lengths.  I then put a mixture of your and water along the edge and sprinkled static grass on it.  In no time at all I had a set of straight rivers.  These were wide enough to fit my bridges on.  I then cut up another sheet to make shorter sections and some pie shaped pieces to make curves and bends.  Not bad for a hours work!  If I can find some glossy finish I will use that to make them look better.  That is if I can find some around here.  

Well, they will not win first place for terrain but they were free and I do not think look too bad.  







8 comments:

  1. Your buildings are very nice Mark - the water wheel is perfect with the new river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out very nicely Mark, a great addition to to your terrain collection. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice find and a good result - maybe I should do what my wife would like and tidy up my painting desk - who knows what treasures I might find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with the river...and superb buildings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive result Mark, the blue looks "right", I once painted a river brown and while it was probably more realistic it just looked wrong.
    Your buildings look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. I love it when you find a forgotten item buried in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That works really well Mark...
    I am looking for something similar myself...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good to me. I agree about using blue instead of brown.

    I've thought about using such sheets too. In my case, for paved (tarmac) roads. Do the sheets lay flat? Did the gluing of flock on the edges make them curl in any way?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete