Sunday, October 31, 2021

When life gets in the way

 


  I have busy with other things as of late hence no posting for a while.  Or at least no wargame material or answering emails.  instead we have been traveling and celebrating Janine's birthday and then getting ready for my return to the working world.  Yes my retirement has ended and looks like I will be returning to work at JetBlue.  But at Boston and not Worcester.  For her birthday Janine had wanted to getaway to a warmer climate, okay some golf and see some (Amerucan) football.  So we went off to Orlando Florida for a week.  Neither of us are golfers but we took a couple lessons and by the end I was hitting more balls then pieces of grass and dirt. Janine used to play a lot with her father and is pretty goid.  Neither of us are very competitive but just enjoy getting out and hitting the ball.  If nothing else it was a pleasant way to get out in the sun.  We also took in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs the Chicago Bears .  it's the second game this year I gave been to.  The first was in September with my sun Nathaniel when we went to see the Buccaneers okay the Cowboys.  Interestingly Nathan likes a game that goes down to the last minute (final score was 31 to 29) while Janine likes a more relaxed game (i.e. a blow out, 38 to 3).  Both like it when their team wins!  Both got the type of game they wanted and I was just happy to get out and enjoy football in person again. 


  The reports of my retirement have been premature.  Back in 2020 the airline closed our station and I was retired.  I am not ready to retire and although I found things to do and enjoyed the time getting in a good number of games I was seriously adrift.  It wasn't the way I wanted to end my second career and honestly I liked getting out and working.  So I had been looking for some work (part time not full time) to pass the time.  Nothing really interesting but I did note that not many places are interested in hiring a person of my age.  So it was with a bit of surprise that JetBlue reached out and wanted to know if I would return to work, part time in Boston.  I will be going off to training in early November run back to Boston.  Of course getting back to work just before the holidays and just as winter hits is going to be interesting.  


  Since I will be busy working again we decided to celebrate  by continuing our road trip but this time heading north to Acadia in Maine.  We plan on walking to trails and coast line and just relaxing a bit.  


 

  



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like real life is being food to you at the moment Mark so fair enough to take a break from the world of toy soldiers! Great news that you will be back at work with your old company too. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Fla - my sister lives there, as do her grown up kids - one nephew is a Sheriffs Deputy, the other I am not sure about and my niece is a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you have been taken on again Mark as it sounds like a good move for you. I'm happy being retired (but am a full time carer so still very busy) but know what you mean about trying to find work when you get past a certain age. A few friends who were made redundant as the same time as me have really struggled to find anything or to cope with having nothing to do.

    Enjoy your walks in Maine and post some nice pics if you can for us all to enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you feel you’ve still got something to give, go for it! I planned to retire at 60, but the closer it gets the more I’m wondering if it’s a good idea, so I’ve made it an aiming point with the freedom to carry on as long as I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always encouraging to find that you're valued, particularly when you're of "mature" years. Concluding your sojourn in Acadia sounds ideal, particularly at his time of year (Autumn is the best of all seasons in New England).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear things are going your way. Maine is lovely. I'm hunkered down on Georgetown Island for the rest of 2021. The foilage is lovely right now. Had a cardinal at the feeder today.

    ReplyDelete