Monday, March 25, 2024

Embodied and Sedentary Militia 1814

 


    The  battalions of Canadian militia were active throughout the 1814 campaign.  The 2nd Regiment fought at both Chippewa and Lundy's Lane.  When I started this project I was confused over the terms "embodied" and "sedentary" militia.  These troops who served for longer tours of duty were termed "embodied" militia while those who were called  away from their farms and businesses only during times of dire emergency were the "sedentary" militia.  

The Sedentary militia units seldom had uniforms.  They might have castffs from stores but fir tge most part hey were instructed to report for battle turned out in a civilian coat made of a dark cloth. They were advised to avoid grey coats, which was the color frequently used by the Americans.

   The Embodied militia wore both uniforms and civilian clothes. While  they  wanted to present a uniform appearance, it was very rarley achieved.  Depending on the year or month they were given red coats with yellow facings, green coats with red or yellow facings, castoffs from the 41st Foot (red faced red), regulation gray trousers,  "gunmouth" blue trousers. Head gear were left over stove pipe shakos, round hats or what ever the individual brought with them.  Equipment were regular accoutrements.  The troops who came the closest to military uniformity were the flank companies, who's uniforms included lace and possibly wings.



On the table top they present a interesting and unusual appearance. 


   

11 comments:

  1. Another interesting post Mark...I always meant to go back to my 1812 collection and add some extra militia in round hats, as well as some units in winter dress as sculpted in the Knuckleduster range.....maybe one day ....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time you can add interesting uniforms or unusual hats is always a plus in my book. To me its one of the advantages to this under appreciated theater.

      Delete
    2. BTW really liked your American regiments. Very well done!

      Delete
    3. Thanks a lot, Mark! And I 100% agree about "interesting" uniforms!

      Delete
  2. I think the general opinion is "possibly".

    Btw, for another good battle for gaming is Chrysler's Farm if you haven't tried it. You even get to field a British gunboat on the St. Lawrence and the US dragoons get to charge British infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! When it comes to uniforms there are lots of different interpretations but not so many facts. So we do our reading, check sources and come up with our best guess. One if things I love about this period.

      Delete
    2. I have not tried out Chrysler's Farm yet. Part of the reason why I am starting to paint up 1813 uniforms!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff there Mark and now I might call my Militia units 'Sedentary' ones, just because they sound so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crysler's Farm is a great game to try, as Ross mentions. I like to imagine the Flank Companies as being the elite of the Militia, with the rest obtaining kit as their supposed fervor for turning out was considered by the QM Stores.

    I, myself, like to think of myself as the epitome of "Milice Sedentaire"...

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite name for a battalion (and one of my favorite units of all time) is The battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. Just outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is certainly a period/campaign filled with interesting uniforms on both sides…
    Crysler’s Farm is cracking battle to play… Ive done it a couple of times… very enjoyable… and both British/Canadian victories 😁…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete