Sunday, June 10, 2018

Game Night at the club



  I do not always mention the club game night.  This is because often i am having too good a time to make notes about the game or take pictures.  Such was the case last month when I played in a fast pace and fun civil war naval game.   This month it was just as fun but I did take a few pictures and notes.

  If you have not yet visited Ed Meuller's blog please do.  Ed combines a great sense of humor with extremely inventive wargame ideas.  These came together in a wickedly fun game, " Loot the Baggage Train. " .Or, as Ed himself said;  "Loot the Baggage Train!" (30 Years War): This game represents that moment so characteristic of this age when the lure of looting the baggage train overcame any interest in the battle. In this game, players will control a file of dragoons, Croats, or "Polish cossacks" as they all converge on a semi-abandoned baggage train. Loot the train; loot the other players. It's every man for himself: the player who comes away with the most swag, wins. 

  So it was everyman for himself and much dealing and backstabbing and bribery.  Each player has four figures.  Both a mounted version and dismounted version.  I commanded a file of German dragoons.  We all races about uncovering wagons and small cashed of loot.  When you arrived at a market on the table it might have swag, or it might have nothing.  Some markers contained a grenado, which could be more deadly to the thrower then the reciever.

The infamous granado

Tossing the granado into the open window


High point for me was discover a grenado.  I used this to race up to a house, and toss it through a open windown.  I was lucky in that it exploded in the house and not in my hand!  Sad to say no one was in the house and no loot was found.  




As to who won?  That was not the point of the game. All had a wonderful time with much laughter.  A perfect game night.  

My bag of swag

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Supercilius Maximus here. Many thanks for your PM and the kind comments - much appreciated. Basically I was locked for "taunting" another member: I wrote "Oh, dear!" in response to yet another of his posts declaring that anyone pro-British would not want to read something negative he had linked to on the Napoleonic pages. It would probably help if Bill could employ assistant editors who spoke "yer actual English". But hey ho! However, I have arranged for someone to copy me in on any threads where he thinks I can provide some useful information or perspective, so do keep posting!
    Cheers,
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete