Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Captain William Smith House (part 2)



  Now that I had assembled the house, how to paint it?  Most New England structures in the 18th century were stained a dark color to preserve the wood.  The bright colors may show up in trim.  The present colors of the Smith House are based on period records.  I intended to follow these and paint it a dark color but with red trim around the Windows and doors and white trim by the roof.



  After searching through my paints for just the right shade of brown, I remember a suggestion from John the OFM from The Miniatures pages.  Stain them.  Brilliant! I thought.  So I got out my citadel Agrax Earthshade and did the front, sides and back.  I think it looked very nice and to me looked like the actual stain on the house today.





  The roof was a light gray.  I highlighted it with white and added a few grey blue shingles for contrast.

  The red trim, doors and windows were done with craft paint.  They were a bit tricky and I taped around the edges as my hand is not as steady as it once was.  The foundation was rocks which I painted medium gray.  I added a little brown to the white trim so as not to be too bright.  Lastly the chimney was dry brushed red.


  All in all this was a fun kit to make and paint.  It makes a very nice structure for your table at a very reasonable price.  it is mostly easy to put together if you fit the parts together before gluing.  You could also change the paint job to get a different house out of it.  Lastly, for me it was a most happy walk down memory lane.  I sincerely hope this is the first of more historical houses  "Things From The Basement " make.


  Ranger Mark says go out and buy yourself one. Or buy two!   Highly recommended!



4 comments:

  1. Great looking result Mark, you have done a fantastic job on this very nice model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the model looks great it certainly was not my skills that did it. "Things From the Basement" did a amazing job on it and deserves the credit. I hope they are to their new historical houses line.

      Delete
  2. Wow, great looking model and painting. It looks just like the real thing. Would the same style house with white clapboards be appropriate for the Philadelphia area?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not see why not. I will be using it in my Trenton game sometime in the future.

      Delete