Monday, September 4, 2017

Work in progress: French Infantry 1745




  Projects are funny.  Sometimes you start a new project because it's a period you love.  Other times it's a long time you just wanted to do it.  There are lots of reasons why. Some good, some well justified.  A few it's just because.   And so in a moment of not right mindedness i have decided to paint French, and later British for the mid eighteenth century.

A new project you say?  Well, projects (in our wargaming world) are funny things.  At times they blossom into wonderful table top armies.  Other times they sputter out as massive piles of lead.  Some are favorite time periods, or long held desire to just create it.  Too many are flights of fancy that do not last the month and leave unpainted mounds of lead.  My Crimean armies are almost done;  someday I will add Turks but not now.  My War of 1812 has taken up all my time for a year but now I need a break before returning.  My Rev War armies are still growing but again i need a time away from the painting table and something different.

   So here I am looking down the tunnel of a small project.  I have always enjoyed the writing of Charles Grant, both father and son.  Many hours have I spent in their company via their books and articles.  This past vacation a I had a most excellent time reading their imagination campaign series.  The Table top teasers series are always a source of inspiration. And, I would enjoy refighting them on my table.  I could do so with any of my other armies.  But that would not seem right.  Instead I would like to do so in the eighteenth century.  A pair of traditional foes seems right. Nothing against Prussia and Austria but I lean towards the the French And British Armies.   My plan is for a handful of regiments, from the Crann Tara and Minden Miniatures range of figures.  More War of Austrian Succession then seven years war.

  Painting is interesting as having started with French they are so different from what I have been painting that I have to seek advice on how to paint white uniforms. They are a mystery to me.  Fortunately many out there have come to my assistance.  I post a half done picture of my first attempt with the French having used off white grey then highlighted with white.  Still experimenting.  So stay tuned for more.



2 comments:

  1. I applaud your new project and wish you the best of luck. Small forces seem a good plan, and you can always add to them later as and hen the painting/collecting muse visits. RSM95 and Eureka figures are very similar in size and proportion, providing some interesting variations for officer vignettes and the like should you wish to branch out later. In the meantime, very eager to see how the current French turn out. They look lovely so far.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Projects are funny and often take on a life of their own. I look forward to following your pseudo-WAS project. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete