Saturday, October 6, 2018

41st Regiment of foot 1812-14



   The 41st Regiment of Foot was posted to Canada in 1800. Having been an invalid battalion for all of its history up to this point the regiment held no battle honours.  This would soon change dramatically.  During the War of 1812 the regiment saw long service at most of the important battles, both in land and sea.



  Starting with General Isaac Brock the The 41st were at the siege and surrender of Fort Detroit in August 1812;  and at Queenston Heights in October  1812.  The 41st then served under General Henry Proctor (the colonel of the 41st)  at The battle of Frenchtown in January 1813 and the siege of Fort Meigs in April 1813.  Volunteers from the regiment served aboard the British naval squadron during the battle of Lake Erie September 1813.  Following the defeat of the squadron and it's total destruction Procter retreated and was defeated at the Battle of the Thames in October 1813.  Following the battle the 41st was decimated and had to be rebuilt with drafts and recruits.  All were combined into a single battalion when the 2/41st arrived.    In December 1813 the regiment took part in the successful capture of  Fort Niagara.  The Light Infantry company fought at Lundy' s Lane in 1814.


  The 41st Regiment was a red faced regiment with originally silver lacelace for the officers.  Later in 1814 when the second battalion arrived the officers lace was changed to gold.  I have painted the officers in the silver lace.   Because they were a red faced regiment drummers uniforms were white coats faced red.  I have fielded the regiment in belgic shako as these appeared to have been worn for most of their time in Canada.  Figures are from Knuckleduster miniatures;  flags are from Flags of War.


  It is very funny to me how I become attached to certain regiments.  This might come about because a friend or I was a member of that reenactment group.   Or it is because you get attached to them through reading about a certain battle or campaign.  For The 41st Regiment of foot it was through reading Pierre Berton's Flames Across the Border.  This was not only the book which got me hooked on the War of 1812 but also to the 41st Regiment.  To me they were a good but hard luck regiment which served through the War from beginning to end.  In addition the narrative of Private Shadrack Byfield provided me with a common foot soldier to follow.  Bayfield was a weaver who enlisted in the 41st and later had his narrative of service written down for him.  He served throughout the War in numerous battles and sieges.  Unfortunately he lost his arm at the battle of Conjocta Creek in 1814 ending his military career.   I have long wanted to add them to my collection and now I have.


8 comments:

  1. Impressive mass effect, splendid flags and beautiful close ups...Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A superb addition to your War of 1812 collection Mark. They are such a joy to view close up...nice photography. Re the new uniforms; they probably arrived with the second battalion, so your depiction is quite reasonable. I completed my 41st in stove pipe shakos and black leggings (early 1812.
    BTW; the flag cords and tassels should be crimson and gold, the ferrule and spearhead gold. I hope you do not mind my minor critique as I would hope to receive the same from you.
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod, many thanks for the information. Silly mistake on my part. Possibly from doing too many American Revolution miniatures as of late. I will correct this this week.

      BTW have started on painting the British flank companies for Chippewa and Lundy s oane. The Light companies of the 1st, 8th and 100th as well as the 41st light company.

      Delete
  3. Another splendid unit Mark
    Flames Across the Border is on of my favourite books on the War of 1812...in fact I would go as far as to say on of my favourite books in general.
    Shadrack Bayfields story would make a superb film or TV mini series...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on these Redcoats Mark...I toyed with the idea of the 41st for my own 1812 project and they may still eventuate, although I have never been very keen on regiments with red facings, because there is no contrast with the coat...one of my strange little foibles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree! Never really liked painting red facings on red coats.

    ReplyDelete