Saturday, March 16, 2019

Cold Wars 2019: Friday



  On Friday we got up early, had breakfast and wandered about the gaming areas.  I found the rooms very well lighted and bright. In the past you could not always enjoy a game because you felt you were in a cave.  Not now.  Some rooms, and the dealers area were warm  but that was more so to the high temperatures outside and the A.C. not yet turned on.

 There were a lot of great looking games.  I have come away with interesting ideas for terrain and troop basing.  Plus it is always great to get new ideas of how to do things.  There were three games that stood out to me, and were in the time periods I am interested in.

The Battle of Craney Island.  A War of 1812 action in 25mm.  Rules used were Carnage and Glory.  This action saw a naval landing by the British on the U.S. Naval base at Portsmouth through the back door at Craney Island.  British Marines and sailors, landing barges and mixed American forces  what is not to love here!  Looks like a great scenario and a fun game.






A Cow! A Cow! My Kingdom for a Cow!
A 25mm American Revolution game using the rules Sharp Practice.  British foraging expedition in the South 1781.  What a brilliant table.  I greatly admired this person's game last year for his attention to details.  Great terrain with lots of fun things mixed in.  Farm animals and civilians and more.  After seeing his game last year I worked to improve my terrain.  This year I learned more and will adding more fun items.  I love his morale and casualties  markers and plan to add these to my armies soon.  Outstanding!  And a fun game.  Everyone looked to be having a great time.








Long, Obstinate and Bloody:  Guilford Courthouse 1781.  15mm, British Grenadier rules.

What can I say! This has to be  the ultimate Guilford Courthouse game.  During my time with the National Park Service I had been detailed to Guilford Courthouse for special events.  So I  am familiar with the ground.  As I was walking across the gaming area toward this game I knew instantly  what this game was.  The ground, the trees and the everything were spot on.  Just brilliant.  In many ways it was superior to most dioramas I have seen. The troop positions looked great.  Little details like the 2nd Maryland in Brown coats faced red were correct.  He just got so much right.  I plan on going back on Saturday to get more pictures.









8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great show Mark - hope to see more of it in later posts - the 1812 game is the same sort of idea I have in mind for the British frigate I recently built....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your write-up of my AWI Sharp Practice game. It's nice when someone notices the little scenic things on the table. I enjoy painting and setting-up the little vignettes. I enjoyed speaking with you on Friday and also enjoy reading your blog. Your entries on Cold Wars are informative and interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your games have been very inspiring to me. This year I bought a lot of MDF buildings similar to yours. Thank you for everything you have done.

      Delete
  3. Mark,McCann you make the pictures enlarge? When you click the pix you only get a thumbnail picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took care of it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention

      Delete