Monday, March 2, 2020

Stone Walls






  It is the little things you add to your table top that brings it alive.  It is also terrain features which add tactical nuances to a scenario.  Fences, both wood and stone are common terrain items for my Rev War and War of 1812 battles.  I have plenty of split rail fences I picked up at Cold Wars many years ago.  Now I needed some stone walls for my terrain.  This is especially true as I want to fight Pell's Point later in the year and they play a prominent role their.


  I picked up a bunch of stone walls on Amazon recently.  Three pieces with gates and thirty straight wall pieces.  At about six inches per wall, that is a bunch of walls!  But, like books, beer and ammunition you can never have too many walls.  These were paid for by a gift card I got from work as a reward for a job well done.  Or at least customers who wrote to the company thought I had done a good job.



  These come unpainted so first thing I did was prime them in a flat black.  A quick dry brushing  of grays and Light tan and presto!  Ready for the table top.

  In New England stone walls are everywhere.  It's a very rocky geologic area.  Farmers will tell you there are two harvests each year. In the spring you get rocks.  In the fall you get more rocks and sometimes a few vegetables.  What do you do with all those rocks?  Build walls!  You line the road in front of your house with them.  Otherwise in wet weather horses and wagons looking for good traction come up on your property. Soon your front yard is now part of the riad!   You build walls to mark your land boundaries. France make good neighbors.   You wall in your crops to protect them from the wondering animals.  Walls are everywhere and super useful both in real life and on the table top.



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I set up a very marching to concord type picture.

      Delete
  2. Nice additions Mark and I agree, it's things like walls and fences that make the table visually attractive...little worse than seeing troops deployed on a flat green baize table with no scenery on it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is why we fight with you soldiers and not cardboard counters.

      Delete
  3. Very nice walls. Similar crops are harvested in upstate New York.

    ReplyDelete