Monday, April 13, 2020

Three Battle of Bunker's Hill dioramas


  Back in the 1980's and 1990's there were three dioramas at the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown Massachusetts.  These were very important to the Park Rangers who used them for interpretation of the battle.  While there are still some landmarks of the grounds the entire battlefield has disappeared under contract and tenement houses.  Presently I have been told these dioramas have been moved across the street to a new and improved museum.

  Two of the dioramas were built by the Pittman studios in Cambridge Massachusetts during the 1930's.  The first was a diorama of the Charlestown peninsula as it looked at the time of the battle.


  Next was a large shadow box of the redoubt atop Breed's Hill.




Lastly, a massive diorama of the battle.  This was constructed by a number Massachusetts military miniatures painters for the Museum of Fine Art,  Boston as part of a bicentennial project in 1975.  The figures were made by Jack Scruby and as still available today as his 9mm American Revolution line.









Due to the Stay at Home orders I have been I unable to take any pictures.  I have used pictures from the internet that came from the blogs Legatus' war game Armies and History in 1/72nd.  Their pictures are far better then anything I could have done.  Thank you!

12 comments:

  1. Really interesting to see these,thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcoms. Thank you very much for stopping by and taking a look.

      Delete
  2. I feel such diorama really aid understanding for the general public not to mention enthralling youngsters. I remember ones I saw as a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They started me on a lifetime hobby.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is inconceivable how many figures are in that diorama. And as I mentioned you can still buy the figures.

      Delete
  4. Splendid dioramas Mark
    I remember looking at dioramas like these when I was a lad ... over 50 years ago.
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another stunning series of images Mark ...Bunker Hill is a battle I have gamed more than once and seeing the entire field laid out, with the light companies coming along the beach where they met with disaster is an inspiring spectacle!

    ReplyDelete