Monday, July 18, 2022

History is everywhere, including at the doctors office!

 


  I had to go into Boston to met up with my neurosurgeon and go over my MRI results.  Janine says where ever I go I attract historical markers.  And this trip was no exception.   Recently Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) has placed a number of these historical markers throughout the grounds and inside the buildings.

  In the early 19th century the buildings there were the Harvard University school of Medicine as well as the Charles street jail.  But it is the site of the Harvard Medical School (HMS) building which was the most interesting.  


   This case is still  used today as a president.  It was one of the first cases in the United States that dentist records were used to identify the victim in court.   I read later that when Charles Dickens visited Boston the first site he asked to visit was  the late Dr. Webster's lab and the scene of the crime! 

For more information about this case:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkman–Webster_murder_case






6 comments:

  1. I expect many of us find history wherever we go. I bet we scrutinize terrain and lay of land as we travel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly in the UK it seems it's always within a stone's throw of where you are. I too can't help but look at the land etc from a military point of view. Maybe I should get out more!

      Delete
  2. I still remember you and George as we were driving somewhere telling me to look for the stone walls, because "stone walls don't move"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice details there Mark, and you are right of course, history is, and always had been, all around us. In more recent times, organisations of all types have started to mark these with plaques, such as these ones.

    ReplyDelete