Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Enjoying the Moment

 

  This is a visual hobby.  We play our games on a table top with terrain that represents the world around us and toy soldiers who represent the soldiers of years past.  This is why we play with toy soldiers and not cardboard counters.  Board games can recreate a historical battle at times better then our table top encounters.  So there are times when after setting up the table I like to sit back and just admire.






  I was just getting started with my next battle.  Terrain and soldiers in place and the first move done.  But instead of continuing I decided to take a moment to sit back and admire.   My Crimean war armies our my oldest figures in my collection.  I built the army during a difficult period in my life and they have always brought me great joy and happiness.  So I thought I would just savor and enjoy the moment before dice are rolled and casualty markers come out. It is a wonderful hobby we have is it not?


9 comments:

  1. Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Then, the battle may commence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice when you can get to savour these moments, especially with troops that have a special resonance for you. When I get to play some big games with friends set during the SYW, you cannot but help just to enjoy taking in that linear view before battle destroys the wonderful symmetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is important to just take a moment and savour things for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ‘It is a wonderful hobby we have is it not?’ - It is indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would even say more: it's not only a visual hobby, it's also a tactile hobby. We want to pick up the toys and move them around, in other words 'play' with them. This has also consequences for my own games:
    1/ It's one of the reasons I don't like using digital tools around the table - the game itself should be completely analogue: measurements, dice, all sorts of rule mechanisms, ... should not rely on digital tools (except perhaps the rulebook ...).
    2/ The 'fun' in wargaming is in seeing the visual spectacle evolve: soldiers moving across the table. Hence, rules should favour movement and manoeuvre, and that's where the emphasis of the mechanics should be. Not in combat resolution or morale table. The latter are part of the game, but should not take precedence over movement: picking up the toys and put them down somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great call Mark. I often feel the look of the game (via images captured for my blog) are more important than the result of he game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first met Mike Hickling of Wargames South he told me it was his aim to create games of ‘moving dioramas’, where you could step back from the table and say ‘doesn’t that look good!’. I agreed with that wholeheartedly and always tried to achieve it, but I think you’ve managed it with all your games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And why not enjoy them Mark, they're great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post Mark, hits the nail on the head, Your Crimean collection is a lovely one, loads of lovely units.

    ReplyDelete