Sunday, October 13, 2024

British 1st Division Crimean War

 


  Life does have a way of interfering.  Too many house hold activists have piled up and I have no time for a game.  I did manage to unpack my figures for the Crimean War so I will be posting them until I get the game underway.  This is good as these are my oldest figures and I truly am fascinated by the period.  My British and French divisions are almost exclusively Wargame Foundry figures while my Russians are a mismatch of manufacturers.  There is something special about the period, at least on the table top.  You get sinister looking Russians in over coats, dashing French and best of all British in outstanding uniforms.  A true joy for the gamer.


 

The Duke of Cambridge

 Here is the 1st British Division during the Crimean War.  Commanded by HRH The Duke of Cambridge they saw service at all the major battles of the war.  The division was made up of two brigades;  the Guards and the Highland brigades.  







  The Guards Brigade was commanded by Major-General Sir Henry Bentinck, KCB and included the 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards1, st Battalion, Coldstream Guards and the1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards.  






 The Highland Brigade commanded by Major General Sir Colin Campbell and made up of the 42nd (Black Watch) Highlanders, 79th(Cameron) Highlanders and the 93rd (Sutherland) Highlanders



4 comments:

  1. Absolutely splendid work there Mark and I for one am certainly looking forward to seeing more like this and a game or two in due course:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "93rd! Damn all that eagerness!" A wonderful collection and at one time, my intended period. It is a fascinating era. Sadly, there we're no readily available figures that I knew of here in the US during the very early 1980s, and the old Peter Laing 15mm range wasn't quite what I had in mind. Yours are magnificent.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes
    (Michigan, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great parade Mark, lovely looking figures and painted so well, looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice collection Mark....hope you get all your household activities done soon, so you can get back to something important...and fun!

    ReplyDelete