Thursday, May 3, 2018

7th New York Hussars 1814


  The War of 1812 was not known for its cavalry actions.  One can always find an exception to the rule but for the most part cavalry played a very minor role.  But that has not stopped any miniature war gamer from fielding these colorful regiments.  And something about cavalry on the table top means glorious charges no matter the historical realities.




  Adding to my American army I already have two mounted regiments. One of American regular Dragoon and a militia regiment in hunting shirts and too hats.   But I just had to add these fine fellows.  As militia they most likely paid for their own uniforms.  And from the looks of These fellows they must have been from the upper crust of society.  Not content with plain uniforms they modeled theirs on the European hussars that graced so many Napoleonic battlefields.


  I can find little information about them so I cannot tell if their actions in the field resembled their uniforms.  Perhaps they got no further from the Niagara frontier then their own town greens.  perhaps most of their actions of dating were with the local ladies.  But I am sure on my table They will be involved in many heroic actions.



  Figured are from the Old Glory line of miniatures.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome uniform, love this red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is a very impressive looking uniform.

      Delete
  2. Mark
    They were present at the battle of Plattsburg guarding the American Left flank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous unit. I must get one painted up......when I start my 1812 collection that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I am afraid I am a bad influence ☺

      Delete
  4. They lookn magnificent. I must admit lack of proper cavalry put me off wargaming American entanglements .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I could imagin quite a bit of cavalry combat in skirmish games all along the Niagara area. Seems that militia cav units on both sides were quite active....chasing each other and burning down things etc..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice...
    I remember reading that they caused some anxiety amongst the militia... with their red coats giving then a British appearance...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did, at Plattsburgh. I am thinking of having the American roll a morale check for all his units within visual range when this unit first comes in the table. ☺

      Delete
  8. Great figures Mark - I have this unit too - painted the same way - and with the same reference card on my blog!

    ReplyDelete