Thursday, August 13, 2020

Return to the Crimean War




I return to the classic wargamer battle, but this time transport it to the Crimean War 1854.  The two sides are once again  looking to capture a vital bridge.

Rules used were "Charge of the Light Brigade " by David Rayburn.  A very clever set of rules which has always given me a fun enjoyable game.  The miniatures Wargame Foundry 25mm.  Here is a description of the rules and how I play them:
https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/11/rules-i-use-for-wargaming-crimean-war.html




The photo above will give a good visual of the battlefield.  The British set up on the (viewers) left and Russians on the right.  The church blocks site only.  You can cross the river along most of its length except one foot in either side of the bridge.  
 


British Order of Battle:
Light Division: 1st Brigade.
7th Royal Fusiliers
23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers
33rd Regiment of Foot
Light Cavalry Brigade
"C" troop Royal Horse Artillery battery




Russian Order of Battle:
1st Brigade/16th Division
31st Vladimir Musketeer Regiment
(4 battalions)
Heavy artillery Battery
11th Kiev Hussars
Combined Uhlan Regiment





9 comments:

  1. Great looking game. I had a look at the rules, most interesting. I am intrigued by your basing, can you tell me more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much to say about basing. It is what the rule author suggests. Infantry are four figures per stand (2 up 2back) with six stands for a battalion plus mounted officer. Cavalry are also six stands of two figures each plus commander. Artillery battery is three stands with a gun and two figures per stand. I like thick bases so people pick up the bases not the figures. They were done by Renaissance Ink who are now safely out of business. I added regimental numbers and names to each stand and also the name of the office on command stands.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mark, that's a nice collection. Very suitable for Brigade size actions. The unit names on the bases is a nice touch. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly enjoyed the sight of them out of the storage horseback on the table so I am planning on doing a few more battles with them soon.

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures Mark, they really look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW should anyone like a copy of the rules drop me a email address and I will send It to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - yes please - deltacoy1976 at hotmail.com
      Cheers Greg

      Delete
  5. Great looking armies Mark and I had to smile as I too have the British Light Division for this period, as a support to the major collection of my mate Mark S over at 1866 and all that....I used the Ebor figures however and Marks are mainly Mutineer Miniatures I think.

    ReplyDelete