Monday, January 24, 2022

Notes on Camden

 

I greatly enjoyed playing out the Battle of Camden on my table top.  Using the historical set up and terrain makes this a very difficult battle for the American side to win.  A different set up and different terrain makes this a very difficult game.  If you compare Greene's army at Guilford Courthouse to Gate's at Camden you see they are very similar.  While I will eventually get around to refuge ting this battle I first have a couple other small actions I have been working on.  Blackstocks, Hanging Rock and Rocky Mount are up next.  


  Couple points on the rules I use for American can Rev War.  These are "The Whites of Their Eyes" by Stephen Haller.  They were published in the (original) Courier Wargames newsletter in the 1970's.  I have had the pleasure of "meeting" the author on line and he has sent me updates to the rules and generously allowed me to share copies with interested players.  I enjoy the rules very much and they provide me a fun, fast moving and enjoyable game.  


  The rules are IGO UGO per turns.  One player moves, shoots and fights close combats.  Then the next player does the same.  Morale checks are all taken at the start of your turn.  There are various factors that cause a check like being hit by artillery, casualties, friends routing past you.  To check you roll 2d6 and add/subtract modifiers.  If you get a seven or better you pass.  If not you roll 1d6 and check to see if you stand, retreat or rout.  Pretty simple really.  Modifiers include elite or light troops, staff officer within four inches for plus; percentage of casualties, hit by artillery.  There are some specific modifiers like Indians in the open -2, Rifle men in woods +1. Militia get a -3 which I think too high and usually use a -1 or 2.  But for this game I kept the -3 to reflect their panicky nature in this battle.  

  Another unusual aspect of the rules is that each regiment gets a internal command.  If you get seven or more hits you roll a separate dice to see if your regiments commander is hit.  If so you get a negative modified roll for the rest of the game.  This can also happen if light troops skirmishes take aim at the units commanders.  Hard to hit as the command gets an extra saving throw but again can cause mischief.


  As mentioned there are the dreaded saving rolls for hits.  While some object to it, I like it.  Rather then  adding and subtracting modifiers each troop type gets a saving roll for hits.  Easy and simple.  Look on the firing chart and see how many hits.  Roll that many dice and remove casualties.  Easy.





2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough Mark, I just printed off the copy of Whites of Their Eyes that you supplied me with some time back and some of the mechanisms look good. I personally dont really like saving throws - to me, you could just make it harder to get a hit in the first place - I think its mainly just a mechanism rule writers employ to give both players something to do when it comes to casualty calculation! I can live with it though, as it seems to be more common than not these days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! Its a old school 1970's set but there are some clever rules. The light infantry split move is especially nice.

    Good points about saving rolls. I hear what you are saying and you make a good case.

    ReplyDelete