Friday, August 5, 2022

Prince of Wales American Volunteers

 


 This long serving but hard luck loyalist Regiment was raised in 1776 by Governor Montfort Browne.  It was to a multi battalion regiment, similar to DeLancey's and his ticket to a Major General Commission.  Alas!  Browne's ambitions were greater then his talents and it never came to pass.


 The Regiment first saw service  in 1777 on the Danbury Connecticut raid.  Later they were  sent to the garrison of Newport Rhode Island and took part in the siege there.  Sent south they took part in the siege of Charleston South Carolina 1780.  

 At the battle of Hanging Rock 6 August 1780 the regiment held its ground but was decimated.  Out of 180 men present they suffered over 94 casualties.   Because of this the regiment was detached in small garrison which are picked off by local  militia and partisans during the next year.

   Captain Maxwell's  defense of Fort Granby was particularly poor when he raised the white flag on condition of being able to keep his loot and march away.  This was done pretty much at the first sign of trouble and ignored the fact a relief column under Lord Rawdon was on the way  

 The Light Infantry company was combined with two companies from the 16th Regiment of Foot and the light company of the 71st Highlanders  to form a light infantry battalion that served with Cornwallis at Camden and Tarleton at Cowpen where it was captured.  The survivors were later incorporated into the cavalry of the British Legion 

  On Rawdon’s relief column to the siege of Fort Ninety Six  the regiment could muster a meager 36 rank and file to march.

  Following the war the regiment was disbanded in New Brunswick Canada.

  For figures I have used Old Glory 2nd edition.  There appears to be evidence the regiment wore green uniforms faced blue at least until 1780. But as with all things about loyalists confusion reign and there are also reports of red coats being issued.  I needed a green coated loyalist  regiment in my army so that is what I went with.  We wargame are a fickle group. 

  The sharp eyed viewer will note the presence of numerous Black men in the ranks of this regiment.  It was very common for escaped slaves during the war to be recruited into loyalist Regiment and win their freedom.  So I have added a number of if these brave men in all my loyalist regiments

  I did not give the regiment colors as I can not find any evidence they had any.  Also no evidence they did not have any.  But this may change as they look too sad without them.  So I will ask my readers what they think. Should I give the regiment a set of colors?  Or not?   Please vote and let me know!




9 comments:

  1. Very nice. Sharp looking fellows. I say give them some colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in favor of colors. But, the lack of them might prove to be a conversation starter for an interesting Loyalist unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be the act of a bounder not to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, I have several green coated Loyalst units that are "speculative " (ie made up!). I think we have enough evidence that there were a plethora of units raised in America to fight for the Crown, clothed in both green and red coats, with various facing colours. These units were often in existence for several years and logically, why would they not have been issued with colours? I say give them a generic green regimental colour and the pre 1801 Kings colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Mark…
    Give them colours… I have a couple of Prussian units that certainly did not carry colours I always think that they look a bit unfinished.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much for the comments.
    And yes, I will be giving the regiment a set if colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! Although with the kind of luck they displayed they will probably lose them in the first game.

      Delete
    2. That was my thought when painting them!

      Delete