Monday, December 12, 2022

Fighting Quatre Bras: The Conclusion

 

  Warren and I returned to John's house to finish fighting the game on Monday.  Unfortunately Don and Phil couldn't make it and last minute issues and weather kept Peter and Paul at home.  So Warren took the French and I the Allies and we continued the battle.




The Allied cavalry on the left flank routed the French cavalry and then captured the battery near it. They then moved to threaten the French exposed flank.


In the center Warren advanced with three brigades to take the cross roads.  The Allies held the center.  I brought up enough infantry to stall his attacks and keep him pinned down.  While my die rolling for infantry fire was great, but I could only roll 1's and 2's for artillery!  Very frustrating!


On the Allies right the Dutch Belgium troops held fast and drove off the French.


So in the end the Allies held the cross roads and drive the French back for a victory.



9 comments:

  1. Well done Mark - you did an excellent job of commanding the allied forces in the concluding session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely one, one of the battles that I am always pleased to read about and see reconstructed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fine game and good to see the Allies holding off the French.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a fine two-day game!
    Quatre Bras is always a good one to recreate as it is reasonably small scale (so fairly easy to produce the troops) has a lot of colour and interest, with the variety of troop types and nationalities, as well as the developing defence and attack of an encounter battle. Always a great challenge for the French, especially if the allied forces resist the initial attack.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a Napoleonic gamer but I found this a fantastic battle to fight out. Very exciting, colorful mixture of troops and waiting for reinforcements. If I was to paint troops for this period this is the battle I would go for.

      Delete
  5. Splendid stuff Mark…
    I do find the Hundred Days campaign very interesting and very tempting.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete