Saturday, October 7, 2023

Back on line

 

  Technical difficulties have befuddled me.  My Kindle Fire 8 died.  Unfortunately for me this is my life line to the internet world.  While we do have a lap top computer that is Janine's domain.  She used it for work, up to her retirement and now uses it for her duties on various town boards.  Plus it confused me.  Up to now I have done all my work on my little Kindle tablet.  I can read books, surf the internet and write.  You would be surprised how much you cab get done on this little table and its small enough it can go anywhere.   Unfortunately after six years it up and stopped working.   I attempted to share the lap top.  But that wasn't working for various reasons.  Mostly how uncomfortable I was using it.  So I have faced facts and ordered a new Kindle.  I found a refurbish Kindle 10 for a very reasonable price.  Its bigger, which is much better for my eye sight and pudgy fingers.  It took me a while to transfer files and drafts to it, as well as back up everything on memory sticks.  So I hope I am back in business now.

The new Kindle 10 in all its glory.

  Hobby wise I am still slowly slogging through rebasing.  While most of my infantry and artillery are done I still have my cavalry and mounted generals to finish off.  The bases for mounted generals have been dine my my friend and fellow club member AJ (thank you!) and I will be picking them up at game day later this month.  


 Cavalry are all mounted on stands now.  I have painted each stand green and will be flocking them with static grass to match my table cloth.  I realize its unfashionable to not super detail the bases with ground and various vegetation but that is my choice.  I admire how how it looks and many gamers do a truly fantastic job creating miniature works if art.  But I personally like plain bases.  Ones that match my table cloth and have the units blend into it rather then jump out.  Perhaps in many ways i  muss the plain painted greet bases from my youth.  Oh well its just a personal preference and each to their own.

Grenadiers and Guards

  I am also doing a little bit of painting.  I find it not a easy as I once did and still have trouble coordinating my brush, fingers and the figure.  But I am working through it and trying.  Adding a few extra individual figures to round out regiments.

Also getting the table ready for a small game and perhaps a review of the new troops.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back.

    It is interesting to see your use of a tablet. As I sort through my projects, my electronic footprint comes to mind also, and a tablet might be a way, especially as more and more rules are in pdf format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
      And yes, I find myself incredibly tied to the tablet. More and more rules and research are saved on it. And as I and the wife try to clear away the clutter I find it easier to store books and such on it. While I will always prefer a real book its nice to have a traveling library at your finger tips with the Kindle.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back in the fray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad to be back in the swing of things. And always a pleasure to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. You seem to be in the home straight with your rebasing (and technology upgrade).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. More will be published in the weeks ahead.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see that your tech related issues have been resolved Mark. I too like plainly flocked bases for my games so that they match my table cloth. However I do add a tad more vegetation for my WWII games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your basing is fine. Truly look good with the grass. That's the point, eh?

    ReplyDelete