Thursday, October 1, 2020

End of an era

 

I had just taken an early retirement from the NPS and needed something to do in my life.  I had looked into a number of jobs but nothing appealed to me. I put a application into JetBlue based on advice from a relative who relative who suggested it.  Little did I know it would be the start of a second career and an opening into a exciting new world.

  I started working for JetBlue on October 24, 2005.  It was a happy day when I received the call, and from that moment on I felt valued and appreciated by the company.  My employment with JetBlue enriched my life and the lives of my wife and two children.  In the last15 years I felt a part of something that was more than just a paycheck.  I was pushed to work hard;  first outside with Ground Ops, and later learning the intricate computer programs and the ups and downs of working with our customers—both jobs in good weather and bad—and I loved it.  I was given opportunities for training and learning.  JetBlue University has fond memories for me, attending classes and networking with colleagues.  I have worked with many interesting and talented individuals and have learned  from them the true meaning of teamwork.  As a liaison for GO it was fun training  baby blues for the job and teaching skills like how to push back aircraft. 


I treasured my time with GO at Logan Airport.  It was amazing to work with such talented and fun individuals and to be part of a hard working team.  There is a thrill that is unmatched when you can marshall a aircraft into a gate that has to be experienced to be believed. GO is a job like no other.  Like  pushing a aircraft out of the gate during a blizzard!  How about doing twelve hour shifts for de icing aircraft?  Or dealing with emergency fuel spills or fires in the cargo compartments?  

 When moving from GO to Airport Operations, I started training for AO on my birthday, reporting at 5:00 a.m. instead of attending Red Sox Spring Training with my wife at JetBlue Park which had been planned for months.  When I got the call for training, I dropped everything to go.  


Working at Worcester as AO was totally different from GO.  New skills, new talents and new job opportunity.  It has brought equal memories that I will treasure forever.  Dealing with flight cancellations  or diversions.  Helping customers solve probles and making the Airport experience an positive experience.  And I will always remember the JetBlue holiday parties held in the terminal.  No place like it!

In both GO and AO, I’ve worked with people from all around the world, interacted with them and learned from them.  I like to think that I helped some of the younger guys understand that they need to plan for retirement, and was honored when they said to new baby blues, “You’ve got to talk to Mark, he’ll explain it.”

I’ve traveled with my family to places that we had only dreamed of.  We enriched the last 5 years of my father-in-law’s life by dropping in frequently to see him in Florida.  What a gift to be able to visit him often with the whole family.  I remember another birthday when I was on a flight to Tampa. These were the days  we could fly jump seat.  My wife and two children got seats but I was in the jump seat.   I offered to help out the flight crew , and the they and I thought it would be a fun experience, so I ended up serving the snacks.  I still remember the look of surprise on my wife’s face when she looked up and saw me with the basket of chips and cookies.  


This year has been just awful for the company, the country, and the world due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and the resulting economic crisis.  We often think of what we were doing this time last year or even just a few months ago.  I understand that we all need to do what we can to stay safe and to save money.  I had hoped that I would be able to take a year off and return to my AO position in Worcester, but that is no longer allowed as the station is closing.  Boston is out because they are not on the list of available transfer airports.  The best option I could take was the Opt Out, which I have done.  


When I read the recent email that identifies my Separation Date as October 1, 2020, I was saddened in a number of ways.  The seriousness of the virus, the economic crisis, and the uncertainty of all our futures really hit home.  I had hoped to continue with the company for many more years, but that has now changed.


 I have considered it a privilege to have worked for such a well-respected company as JetBlue since 2005.  I appreciate all the things I’ve learned, all the great colleagues I’ve known, and all the great flying experiences I was able to share with friends and friends.


12 comments:

  1. This is a moving reflection of your time at Jet Blue. The pandemic has been especially hard on the commercial airline and travel industry. You are not alone in feeling the impact of this personally. One wonders when life may return to "normal."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been very difficult on so many levels here and for so many people.

      And I too wonder about a return to normal.

      Please stay safe and stay smart.

      Delete
  2. Sad news. Hope all works out well for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far we are all doing well except for thus curve ball. I hope you and yours are well and staying safe.

      Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. So many endings. I suppose there's some consolation in the fact that there was some sort of opt out option; sounds as if JetBlue at least remained true to it's culture of trying to do right by its people. And 15 years with any single firm nowadays is, sadly, quite an achievement. If you're going to miss the people and the sense of being part of a team, then that tells you that you were part of something worthwhile. Take that to the bank; it will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ed. I appreciate it.

      The time spent at JetBlue was wonderful and gave me experience and adventures to remember. There was a Brotherhood there that had to be experienced to be believed.

      Delete
  4. It’s often the people you work with that make the job. KBO, Mark, and all will be well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I appreciate appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that your time at Jet Blue has come to an end. You have such great memories of your time there. I hope another door opens for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping something turns up. I do have recall rights if things improve. And financial wise we are in a good state and can rude it out.

      Thank you very much for the kind words.

      Delete
  6. Very sorry to read this Mark - losing a job in this type of circumstance is hard - its happened to me a couple of times and its not a good feeling. Resigning/retiring is a different thing entirely - I am not sure of your age groups so don't know if you will be seeking something else or just calling it a day for paid employment. I'm in my late 50's and hoping to spend the rest of my career with my current employer - I am fortunate that we seem to have weathered the Covid storm pretty well and don't have any immediate concerns for my ongoing employment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am at that strange age of 63 going on 64. Not ready for social security and retirement but not a lot if job opportunity for me. But we will see what turns up.

    In the meantime the wife has many projects for me around the House to keep us busy!

    ReplyDelete