Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Edward Suren "Willie" miniatures

 



In cleaning out The drawers and storage boxes on my painting table I found a small group of 30mm Suren figures.  I had started  working on them back in the late 1980's and like too many projects they fell to the way side.  Curse that butterfly effect!



I have always found the Edward Suren miniatures to be outstanding, and after all these years they have not lost their charm.  I really like them and hope to fund the money to add some regiments to my collections.  I do wonder after all these  years how the molds have held up and what the castings look like today.


As an aside during a trip to Great British in the early 1980's I visited the Black Watch Museum.  I was most excited to see the Suren  diorama about the attack on Fort Ticonderoga.  It was amazingly detailed and the staff was most amused after an hour there I was still looking at it.   Unfortunately none of the pictures I took came out so I have no visual memory if it.  I do wonder if it is still there and what condition it is in.  Also, if any readers of this blog know if the location of any other Edward Suren dioramas please let me know as we are planning a visit to Great British 

5 comments:

  1. May not be that good! I bought a few off the back of Ian Weekly articles at roughly the same time and the moulds appeared shot. Only one figure had hands (the remainder were Abu Hamza impersonators) and the single horse I ordered had three legs. They ended up in the melting pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling someone in Scandanavia now them and had redone all the moulds - my friend Julian's original teenage collection from the 70's are all Willie figures and he has added to them in the last few years with no ill effects

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed I have shared your post here https://wargames-directory.com/forums/topic/edward-suren-willie-miniatures/

    Feel free to join and share your work

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed suren was an officer in the British army ,I believe ,in the dolly gray stationed in the near East he was a character, stout, with a handle bar mustache. He did a number of dioramas for Forbes they are located in his museums. I have an aries of both f&I war ,and the napoleonic wars both sizable in number ,in the 100s
    They are still great sculpted figures ,always been my favorite

    ReplyDelete