Friday, December 11, 2020

Lee's Legion Infantry 1781

 


A few years ago I painted up "Light Horse" Harry Lee and his Legion.  Although very happy with the cavalry I was less so with the infantry.  In reorganizing my forces I decided to redo the infantry element.  

The 2nd Partisan Corp or as it's better known name,  Lee's Legion was formed in April 1778 when it was detached from the 1st Continental Light Dragoons.  Through its commander, "Light Horse" Harry Lee and his memoir the Legion's service is one of the better known regiments during the American Revolution.  As to if it was an elite unit, that is up to the reader to decide. But what is not debatable is it could be, at times as ruthless as the British Legion with whom it fought. It was a very active part of Greene's army and played a prominent role in his campaign. Incidentally, Lee's  memoir was written partly to adress the controversy over Lee's action at Eutaw Springs.  His son, Robert E. Lee would continue the defense of his father in later editions of the book.



  I understand that suggesting Lee's Legion were not dressed in green coats might go against current  practice.  This color combination  is usually suggested by

 Lee's ambush of Pyle's loyalists.  Lee himself in his memoir says they were dressed similar to the British Legion in green.  (Please note the memoirs were published long after events and have been questioned in numerous details).  When I painted them up I bucked tradition and used the painting of Lee himself in a tan/brown faced green coat. I feel thus might be a more accurate presentation.  Again, my opinion only and I wouldn't criticize another interpretation.


In addition I also used the following quote from private Shaw of the 33rd regiment of foot. He was captured just prior to Guilford Courthouse and wrote later:

"Scarcely had we gone half way up the lane, when seven of Lee's light horse made their appearance: my companion swore there was Tarleton's light horse coming, and, says he, ‘we shall be taken up on suspicion of plundering, and get 500 lashes a piece.' ‘No;' said I, upon observing their brown coats, and white cockades, ‘no, friend, you are deceived; these must be the rebels.' Having therefore discovered his mistake, he began to cry;--but for my part, I thought it very good fortune.—As they were advancing towards us, we concluded to go and meet them; which we accordingly did, and falling on our knees begged for quarter; which they granted ….


 The Infantry of the Legion are much more of an mystery.  I think the evidence suggests the Legion infantry had a different uniform from the mounted element. There was an issue of enough cloth to three officers to make coats of blue faced red and lined white (see p40 Katcher Uniforms of the Continental Army). This was from the clothier general of Maryland in 1782.  There is also a portrait of an officer of the Legion Infantry,  Lieutenant Laurence Manning who was shown in a blue coat faced red with silver lace.


  So I feel confident the Infantry element of the legion in 1781 at least we're in standard blue faced red coats.  There is no evidence of helmets issued so I outfitted my infantry in standard infantry uniform. Please feel free to disagree.


  For my table top Legion I have once again used the most excellent figures from Brigade miniatures for the Infantry of the Legion.  I have been going through my box of extra and left over figures to fill out my collection as of late.



 The flag for the Legion is much more questionable so I have not added one.  There are some sources that suggest one but I am unsure of the documentation.  If better information comes available later to convince me I will add it then.  

And now I look forward to Lee tangling with Tarleton in the battle of the legions on my table top!




4 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I’ve got Lee’s mob planned for next year and will go tan/green for the mounted figures just because I want them to look different to Tarleton’s! I’m not entirely convinced about the infantry in helmets. From what I can fathom, just about everybody went to cocked or wide brimmed hats for practical purposes, so I can’t see Lee’s infantry doing otherwise.
    I would rate them as Class 2 in Loose Files speak. Despite the later hype, I think they were quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Mark and as you say the Brigade Games figures look very good indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely looking legion and most interesting discussion of some of the background and vagaries regarding their uniform.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete