Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Courier! And a New Year

 

Usually at this time of year it is traditional to do a wrap up of the years events.  But since 2020 has been such a depressing event I will ignore this tradition and instead share with you all some good news that happened the other day.


 At the end of this most unusual year I got a most unexpected present.  Dave Mesquita, from my wargame club "The Northern Conspiracy" let me know that he put together a collection of the original "Couriers" for me.  He and Bruce Weeks had been working on a digital editions of them, and he had a collection of extras.  Knowing my interest in them he let me know and I picked them them up on Wednesday at his house (in a socially distant way).  After a conversation I was on my way home.  


 I have mentioned before this was the publication that got me into this wonderful hobby.  So flipping through it is a time machine transporting me back to a younger time in the 1970's.  Its interesting looking at how we once did our hobby and how things once looked.  It is also fun rereading the columns that inspired me long ago and finding columns I missed!  There is a Rev War tactical  battle problem by Steve Haller I had not seen before that looks like a very fun game.  And an old friend Matt Fallon has an article on how to make a 18th century camp including tents, wall tents and bell of arms which should brighten up my table.  I had also forgotten that both Matt and Scott Lesch had done cover illustrations for the Courier.  So many surprises and so many memories. A wonder way to end this year and inspire me going into the new year!


Cover by Matt Fallon.


Cover by Scott Lesch.


To all my friends in the hobby and out in the blogging world I wish you all a most Happy New Years hoping the next year is better and brighter for us all!  Thank you all again for reading my blog and for brightening this year .


(And for the very sharp eyed individuals who noticed yes that is a Reading premium beer can in the background!)

14 comments:

  1. What a great gift! How is the original Courier different from Dick Bryant’s mag? Is the same? Many happy hours of reading for you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its similar but smaller and more like something you could publish in your basement; before computers. A nice low key feeling to it of talking and sharing with friends.

      Delete
  2. Splendid Mark...
    I’ve only ever had a few copies of the Courier... I may have to pick some up next year.

    All the best and have a Happy and Prosperous New Year...

    Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you All! And wishing you a healthy and happy new year.

      Delete
  3. Agreed! Isn't it funny how rereading hobby magazines from our long ago youth is not only interesting and inspiring, but also oddly comforting?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea to take inspiration from the past as we enter a new year. Here's to a better New Year and a return to the gaming table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only reading gift this year was ‘Implementing NIST’. I know which I’d prefer... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you sir for a healthy and happy new year. And here is hoping you get some better read material!

      Delete
  6. A very thoughtful gift from your friends Mark - I hope you have many happy hours reading them. Best wishes for the New Year and I hope 2021 sees some improvement in your neck of the woods

    ReplyDelete