Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Building The Hartwell Tavern Part 3: Painting the Buildings

 


  Now that the buildings are done its time to paint the kit.  The restored tavern is a dark brown in color.  It is not painted but stained.  Some of the trim over the doors and the caulking around the glass is white.  There is a field stone foundation which is gray in color.  


  For the main brown color I stained the building.  This has worked very well for me in the past.  I use Arax Earth shade From Citadel Paint for this.  If I want a dark shade I brush it on right out of the bottle.  For a lighter shade I dilute it with water.  For the tavern I used it right out if the bottle and brushed it on, two coats.  I then slightly sanded parts to give it a worn look.  But very lightly and sparingly.

  Next was the roof which I painted gray to represent the slate shingles.  I think  next time  I will invest in the pre made shingles sold by "TFTB" which are reasonable priced.  the chimneys were painted A dark red brown then dry brushed light red.




To paint the trim and field stones I tackled it each building at a time.  Time consuming but the end result is worth it.


You don't like my sign?
Then get off my lawn you darn kids!

  The final piece is the tavern sign.  On the downloaded instructions there is a Xerox of the original sign which you can cut out and paste on.  I decided to try and paint the sign myself.  How well it turned you you can be the judge. Personally I will not give up my day job.  And the noble looking horse looks more like a big dog.  So perhaps use the xerox instead!




  When done you have a beautiful model if the Hartwell Tavern as it looks today.  This is a very big model and scale wise will take up a lot of your table space.  Possibly better for a one on one skirmish game.  Also remember that only the tavern was in existence in 1775.  So you can put just the main building on the table.  The additions could be set up as a separate building. So you two buildings for the price of one!







Personally I am most pleased with this.  As I mentioned I spent a lot of time here during my time at Minute Man National Historical Park.  Its a excellent model and it was great fun building and painting it.  Come April when I traditionally do a few posts about April 19, 1775 I plan on using this as a back drop for a few stories.

18 comments:

  1. These pieces are very handsome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look really nice. Easy to assemble and very reasonably priced.

      Delete
  2. This really is a very nice kit as previously mentioned Mark and you have finished it off very nicely. It must be quite fun, to have a scale model of a place you know well and worked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great fun building it and remembering my adventures there.

      Delete
  3. That girl feeding chickens is the star of the show… Wonderful building, too. Reminds me of Britains farm buildings from the sixties! Probably too big for ‘battles’ but if you are doing 1:1 then it’s a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that’s Tom & Jerry behind her, I did them as a joke for Dennis but he liked them so much they ended up on sale!

      Delete
    2. They look great and always generate a lot of positive comments when I put them on my table during a games. You have done great work here.

      Delete
  4. Mark, I had never even thought of using inks / washes for buildings, very useful tip. They look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Houses in New England generally were not painted until the late 1790’s. I was searching for some way to replicate the look and stumbled on this. I am most happy with the results.

      Delete
  5. A splendid looking building Mark…
    It certainly has a really solid look to it.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those have come up a treat Mark:).

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great meeting you in person at Historicon 2023, Mark. One of my personal highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Meeting you and your lovely wife was a highlight of my weekend.

    ReplyDelete