Monday, June 13, 2022

A day out

 


  Today I had a great day. A couple friends invited me to the usual Monday morning game at John's.  Because I cannot drive my buddy Warren picked me up and drove me to the game.  They have been playing 10mm American Civil war using the rules "Alter of Freedom."    They were fighting Antietam and  the game had been continued over two previous Mondays.  So at this stage the Union had broken through in the center and Burnside had fought his way over the bridge with high casualties.

  The rules are a grand tactical set of rules.  I cannot tell you too much about them as they were very complicated and I could pick up only small parts of them.  The fighting portion reminded me of the first edition of Volley and Bayonet.  But there is a staggered move section based on points which is very confusing.

  They battle ended in a decisive Union victory.   As I mention the Unuon broke through in the center and Burnside started to turn their right flank.    Hooker's Corp broke the Confederate left.


  But the game was in many ways secondary.  It was a time for friends to get together and a time for me to reconnect with friends.  It was a great day for me.





12 comments:

  1. Great day out with your friends, for sure. Fighting a battle over multiple sessions has many benefits, one of which is that players do not get as fatigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really nice of John and his wife of course. He can leave the game setup in his garage and we continue next week.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great day out Mark. We had something similar recently - an evening game at a friend’s house after several month’s break turned more into a talk fest than a game, but it was nice just to be with friends again and to talk toy soldiers and other nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar to your experience. Its great to be with people yet again.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you being able to get out and meet up with friends, which was great to hear:). As you say, the game is somewhat secondary at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you getting out and reconnecting with your gaming buddies Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you got out and had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it felt very good to actually get out and be with friends again. Isolation is not good for the soul.

      Delete
  6. In that case, the game was irrelevant so it was a successful day. Looked at a review of AoF and I’m not surprised you found it confusing - I didn’t even understand the review! I’m still convinced convoluted C&C rules reflect nothing more than the rule writer’s desire to be different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with so many things you hit the nail the head on the head. The game was secondary to seeing friends and being out. A step towards being normal (although I hesitate to use that term towards myself!).

    ReplyDelete