Thursday, September 1, 2022

A visit to Old Sturbridge Village

 


  Over the weekend Janine and I went to Old Sturbridge Village. This is a recreated 19th Century New England village and living history museum.  Most buildings are restored and have been moved there.  Its a beautiful location and a pleasant day walking about the grounds which are very expensive.  There are certain days each month when you can bring your dog so Fritz, to his delight went along.




 The time period is about thirty years after the American Revolution or the 1830's.  Buildings range in age from late 18th century to mid 19th century.  As such they are a great chance to look at styles and colors for buildings in my table top games for American Rev War and War of 1812.

Very similar in construction to a British Rev War cartridge box

canteens

knapsack


more knapsack



Although clothing and military equipment were changing there was a great exhibit in 1830 New England militia equipment.  This gives me suggestions for painting War of 1812 militia and volunteer figures.






It also gives you great ideas for terrain and landscape on your table top.

A great day was had by all!



16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mark and certainly this is my sort of day trip out. Immediately I was taken by the colours of the houses, which make great reference for when I need to paint some more for my AWI/ACW games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I like to check out when I go. The staff continues to research and are nit afraid to change things if wrong. Hence you might see houses newly painted in a different color.

      The topic of painting houses changes depending on where you are in the 13 Americans can colonies. In New England 17th up to the late 18th century you didn't paint. You stained. Usually a dark color. Once paint became affordable or "in" colors blossomed. In other areas of the country it was different.

      Delete
  2. I’d be in my element here. Now I want to do some terrain modelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed multiple visits. Definitely inspiration worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting mix of pictures and items; thanks! Looks like a great place to visit. I always like stuff about vernacular architecture...

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its fascinating to look at the different styles

      Delete
  5. This is my third attempt to leave a comment, although of course, as you have moderation on, I don't know for sure the first two didn't get through - but they did not SEEM to get through from my side! I really like this kind of reconstructed historic village - looks like a great place to visit. Your typo in describing the extensive grounds as expensive made me laugh - we used to have an "on hold" message on our CS lines at work that told callers to ask about our extensive service options, but about 80% of people thought it sounded like expensive service options, so it was changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say this was the only one that got through. Blogger has been a bit wonkie as of late. A couple of other people have mentioned there comments not going through. I have left comments at other blogs which also have not gone through.

      That said I missed that and got a good laugh over my typo. On another forum we have been posting our worse autocorrect mis adventures.

      Most importantly thank you for posting here. I appreciate it very much.

      Delete
  6. That's a great looking villiage, Mark! I love time capsules such as that.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely looking village/museum Mark…
    Inspiring stuff indeed.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete