Sunday, July 16, 2023

Club Game Night: Sails of Glory

 

  Taking a little break from the War of 1812 Friday was our club game night.  There were three games set up, An Ancients battle, a WW2 action and Mike Bailey put in a naval action with his Sails of Glory ships.

  The scenario was a what if Nelson caught Napoleon's fleet on route to Egypt.  There were four ships for fact sure set-up.  The British ships had to sail into the wind (very slow going) and we're mostly 74guns.  The French thus had better speed and two big 100+ ships.  in the action that followed my ship passed by a French ship and we exchanged passing shots.  I then spent the game trying to turn about and return to the sction.  Obviously I did not get points for my ship sailing.




  Unfortunately Nelson sailed his ship between the two French 100+ men if war with very predictable results.  The two French ships later sailed into each other in what we landlubbers would call a collision.  Unfortunately in the basic rules the results were ignored.  At the end of the evening two British ships were gone and one French ship sunk.


  I enjoyed the game and Mike did a fantastic job.  It's only n the second sailing ships game I have played in and it was great fun.

7 comments:

  1. Seems to be a theme at the moment Mark, with Jon over at PWJ also trying his hand commanding RN sailing ships! I have played occasionally but naval warfare just isn't my thing...the models look magnificent though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on this. Its not my thing but it looks great. Plus I am at a loss trying to maneuver ships or plans. But they certainly look outstanding.

      Delete
  2. Great fun game... it's about the only naval game I'll play. Which is good news for those on my side too 🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! After my performance I doubt I will be given a another ship command

      Delete
  3. A nice looking game indeed…
    I like the fact that the ships are ready built…
    It’s all that rigging that puts me off collecting sailing ships.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ships are beautiful but I agree about the rigging and such. Which is why I am glad when someone else puts the game on!

      Delete