Thursday, July 27, 2023

My Historicon wrap up

 


  I am back, had a chance to recover and get a few things done around the house.  Historicon is in my rear view mirror and here is a chance to wrap it up.  How was it?  What was best?  


A big surprise was finding this picture of me in Jim's Khartoum game in his blog!


  Considering it was put together at the very last minute everything sent smoothly.  The drive down and back were good (except for traffic in Connecticut).  We stayed off site from the Convention Center and the hotel was clean and ok.  Plenty of food options around us. We used Uber and Lyft to get back and forth and again it went most smoothly with a single huccup.   The new (to me) center was very large and very open with plenty of room for lots of games.  In some rooms the lighting was poor, but on the whole they were very good areas.  Plenty of room and good solid tables.  Unfortunately the flea market (or I believe its called bring and buy on the other side of the pond) had odd hours and was terribly crowded and noisy with much pushing, shoving and trampling.  After a moment I abandoned ship and avoided it.  I am sure there were bargains to be had but it was not worth it for me.  

  There was also a really nice lobby with plenty of seating.  This was a really big plus for me as from time to time noise and crowds got to me and caused a terrible headache.  Here is could sit for a moment, close my eyes and reboot and then I was feeling normal.  This help dramatically and made a huge difference.


  Eric and Jim's games were outstanding and well worth the trip down.  Not much to say that I have already said except to once again thank both of them for playing in their games.  They were both a experience I will not soon forget.

 I did buy a few things.  A batch of civilians from Venture Miniatures.  Never can have too few people to decorate and add interest to your games and background.  

  The Osprey book US Soldier vs British Soldier War of 1812.  I have this on my Kindle but found a very good used copy and had to pick it up.  A most useful and good guide to the two sides. Highly recommend.

  I also picked up the revised hardback edition of Charles S. Grant's The War Game Companion.  My paperback copy is falling apart from use and this will be an excellent replacement.  One of my favorite miniature wargame books.

  My truly favorite part of the convention was meeting old and new friends.  I have been corresponding with Eric and Roger on the Fife and Drum forum for years but this was first we all met. I hope thus will be the first of many meetings.   I had met Jim Purky while doing a battlefield tour way back in 1997 and I was delighted the remembered.  I borrowed a picture from his blog of me playing in his game! And every convention I look for my old friend Robert Mulligan from my days in the Brigade of the American Revolution.  I was delighted to find him within my first hour there. I was especially happy to met in person Joerg Bender from "Things From The Basement.". Joerg makes the wonderful MDF buildings you see on my table.  Many of these are from Minute Man National Park where I worked.  Lastly thank you to my friend George for all the driving and the companionship.

  So there you have it.  A great time and a wonderful experience.







  

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great weekend Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear you had a great time Mark, especially being able to meet up with old friends, which is always a nice thing to have happen. I couldn't agree more about having quiet places to sit down and re-charge the batteries, a bit of a theme with our small UK shows here where seating is often missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somtimes a last minute, spontaneous trip can turn out better than a long anticipated, highly planned one Mark! I am pleased you had such a good time after the trials and tribulations you have had to put up with in recent times. Playing in Jims fantastic game must have been one of the highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good looking games, there. Glad to see that you enjoyed your impromptu trip Historicon. I have still yet to make the Pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete