Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Saint David's Day and Royal Welch Fusiliers

 


"1st March 1775, this being St. David's Day the officers of the 23rd Regiment or Royal Welch Fusiliers, dinner together according to the custom.  All the general & Staff officers, the Admiral, and several other persons were invited to dine with the Regiment..."

From the diary of Lieutenant Frederick MacKenzie

23rd Regiment of Foot or Royal Welch Fusiliers

On this day I hope a  Happy Saint David's Day to the Welch, and to all Royal Welch Fusiliers,  both past and present.



5 comments:

  1. Every time I’ve deployed the 23rd, no matter what the scale, they’ve received a pasting! More important to note it’s Shrove Tuesday today, and that means pancakes…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes taste better then leaks!

      My old friend John Hayden used to go after my miniature 23rd in our games. I returned the favor by going after his 1st NH. Did not matter the games victory conditions the best part was going after the others regiment.

      Delete
  2. T'is Mardi Gras, bon ton roulet!
    My little 23rd has always given a good fight, win or lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy Mardi Gras to you!

      The 23rd has always done me right on my table top.

      Delete
  3. Is it that time of year again??! I have read your St David's Day post several times now....I hope you had a nice mouthful of raw leek to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete