Sunday, August 13, 2023

American Heritage Museum in Hudson Massachusetts

 


Janine and I spent yesterday at the American Heritage Museum in Hudson Massachusetts.  They hosted A universal soldier day where various reenactment groups and individuals showed up and talk with the public.  Yes, there were the usual America Civil War and Rev War.  But I got to talk with individuals doing Roman legions, Spanish American War and Russian WW1.  Best of all toured the museums and displays of military equipment,antique cars and aircraft.

  I was very excited to see a couple of miniature Wargames groups set up displays of games.  So excited that I forgot to take any pictures!  What is wrong with me!  Old Colony Wargamers was the group years ago which got me into the hobby through their magazine The Courier.  I got to meet Tom Desmond and Alan Coughlin.  Tom's name was very familiar to me through The Courier.  Alan I knew through posts on his excellent blog Der Resin Kavalier (https://derresinkavalier.blogspot.com) which I highly recommend.  I also saw Bill Zona who I always fun to talk with.  He has a talent for putting on excellent looking games a that are fun and exciting.


Part of the museum has various antique cars on display.  Here is a few pictures:




And some excellent aircraft which I will be going back to see fly in September:



Bleriot XI

Wright Flyer model B


Nieuport 28


And some of the reenactors I talked with:

War of 1812 US Marine

Spanish American War US Infantry

Colin Rixon himself

Zulu War British Infantryman

WW1 Signal Corps

Roman Legion



Steve Ames and his wife

Imperial Russian infantry WW1

US Paratroopers and display


Here is a link to a special about the museum with much better pictures then I could ever take!  And a nice interview with my old friend Colin Rixon who I have not seen in too too many years at the museum today!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/in-telling-the-history-of-war-this-massachusetts-museum-hopes-to-prevent-future-conflict


7 comments:

  1. Drove by there today, wondered if it was worth a visit. I'll have to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine mix of stuff there to inspire one Mark:)! Nice to be able to talk to re-enactors and to handle kit too, if this is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does, indeed, look like a great way to spend the day, Mark!

    ReplyDelete