Saturday, August 26, 2023

Basing the Rev War Collection


   I have decided to dive in and rebase my Rev War figures. I don't care for the thickness of the present bases and I am after all these years looking for a new look to them.  I envision bigger more solid looking British and Hessian units.  Americans will have more units but smaller in size.

    So the tedious work of soaking bases in water to dissolve the glue begins. Also digging through the box of left overs to find odd left over figures since some of my regiments will be slightly larger. And of course waiting to see when the new bases arrive. 


  Both armies are based around historical orders of battle for the 1776 New York campaign about September/October.   I find it fascinating.  The Americans are very colorful with some excellent regiments  (think Delaware and Smallwood's regiments) and a few talented officers.  The British are at their professional best.   Hessians have arrived and play a very important role.  Scale is 10:1 but I am very elastic as tiny units disappear fast and gigantic units are a pain.  Overly large units usually fought as two wings.it's


  Crown forces will mostly be eight figures per base and four bases per battalion. Bases are 80mm x 40mm.  This gives me 32 figures per battalion with Hessian and Elite British units (Guards, Grenadiers, Highlanders and Light Infantry) slightly larger.  No historical reason for the basing except I like how Jim Purky's forces look.  If I was looking for a reason I could say I was basing them by divisions (i.e. two company's is a division) but that is beside the point.  It just looks good to me.


  Still deciding on the light troops. Regulars may be based like the others except a couple less figures per base to account for more open formations but they can still fight in line. Those  troops who always skirmish mounted 2 per base on round bases. 


  Americans are another matter.  Probably will going with regiments of  20, 24 or 30 figures based on historical returns.  I am using General Charles Lee's division of  Glover's, McDougall's and Nixon's brigades each of four battalions.  Plus a militia Brigade of four battalions.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds exciting Mark and I'm looking forward to seeing the first units as and when they are completed:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not envy you the rebasing work Mark - I have rarely (I am sure I must have done once or twice?) rebased any figures and certainly not a large collection - and I adamant I won't be doing so, either! I like the sound of your bigger, more solid bases although I would go for 3 x 6 models (like my GNW ones) for reasons of economy - you are in a slightly different position if you already have the figures, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit its probably because I have too much time on my hands 🤔

    ReplyDelete