Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Military Art of George Woodbridge Part 2

 


I posted last year a series of illustrations by George Woodbridge.  At the Sturbridge Village event I was fortunate to run unto Roy Najecki who I knew from the 40th Regiment Light Infantry company.  Note drawing above which looks amazing like Roy. As inspector for the Brigade of the American Revolution Roy published a wonderful little booklet about the various soldier impressions in the Brigade.  Kind of a program for the public at events.   It was filled with excellent illustrations by George Woodbridge which I would like to share here. Seeing Roy was one of the highlights for me at this event.


  George Woodbridge was commander of the reenactment organization "The Brigade of the American Revolution" during the Bicentennial.   His deep knowledge of uniforms helped mold the groups reputation for historical authenticity.  In addition he was a Fellow of the Company of Military Historians. Many of his drawings can be found in George Neumann's books on weapons of the American Revolution. He is better know as an artist for "Mad" magazine.   If you were in the Brigade during the 1970's you might have found yourself in one of his drawings in that magazine!  Perhaps better known for his American Civil War drawings George Woodbridge is one of the lesser known artists of the American Revolution.  This is sad because his soldier studies are outstanding and show a understanding of the clothing and equipment of the era. Must importantly his soldiers looked like people and not models.   














5 comments:

  1. What a treat. Too bad they are so rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Which is why when I find them I like to post them to give him some credit.

      Delete
  2. Some very nice line drawings there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his drawings; they remind me of Gerry Embleton's drawing style too. Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete