Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Next Project: Anthony Wayne's Pennsylvania Division 1777.

 


  Inspired by my recent outing to Historicon and reading Keith's blog Bydand I am setting off on a mission.  Not that I need any more regiments in my American Rev War army but plan on adding another Continental line division, Anthony Wayne's Pennsylvania Division in 1777.  This will consist of two brigades of four battalions each.  Uniforms are a mixture of Brown and Blue regimental coats with area hunting shirts mixed in.  This unit took part in the 1777 fighting at Brandywine, Paoli and Germantown.  With a number of additions but mostly subtraction to stayed mostly together till the end of the war and had a admirable service record.  


  One thing about this project is I plan on seriously cutting down on my unused lead pile.  Going through unpainted figures I discovered I have a number of unfinished regiments, left over figures and bunches of not yet painted figures.  I should be able to get almost the entire division out of these.  

Order of battle I am working from with approximately number of figures per battalion.  This includes the battalion commander, number of figures based around a 10:1 ratio and possible uniform.  I say possible because with all the conflicting information these are what I picked.  


Wayne's  Pennsylvania Division 1777

 Colonel Thomas Hartley Brigade (850 men) 

1st Pennsylvania Regiment (Colonel James Chambers) (24) brown faced green

2nd Pennsylvania Regiment, ( Major William Williams) (20) brown faced white

7th Pennsylvania Regiment, ( Lieutenant Colonel David Grier) (24) blue faced white

10th Pennsylvania Regiment, ( Lieutenant Colonel Adam Hubley) (20) brown faced red, red vest.

Colonel Richard Humpton Brigade (900 men). 

4th Pennsylvania Regiment, ( Lieutenant Colonel William Butler) (24) brown faced blue

5th Pennsylvania Regiment,( Colonel Francis Johnston) (24) blue faced white, blue waistcoat

8th Pennsylvania Regiment, (Colonel Daniel Brodhead)(24) Brown faced red

11th Pennsylvania Regiment, ( Major Francis Mentges) (20) blue faced red


Now, one item I have wrestled with is the number of figures per battalion.  I have taken the numbers for the 1777 campaign and worked out a 10:1 ration.  This involved rounding up or down and combining two under strength units.  Usually in my other armies I have used a standard number of figures per battalion.  Numbers for the Crown Forces historically was much higher per battalion.  In my armies I have used 32 figures per battalion for them.  I am a little concerned about small 20 figure American battalions when matched up against larger Crown ones. Will they be over run quickly or will more American battalions per game even things out?   Out of curiosity what would you my readers suggest?  Mixed battalions of 20 and 24 figures or a standard American battalion of 24 figures each.  Please let me know!



6 comments: